Andrew practices in all fields of corporate and commercial law, with
an emphasis on banking and finance. He also handles mergers and
acquisitions, aviation, insurance, privatisation and de-regulation law,
and all aspects of commercial litigation. Andrew oversees the corporate and
commercial department of the firm; and is presently recognized by IFLR1000 as one of the country's leading lawyers in
matters of energy, insurance, technology and communications, as well as
oil and gas.
Andrew has been described as 'very efficient, and always has a solution for any issue that may arise' by Chambers Global 2017; which has also ranks him as a leading General Business lawyer in Uganda.
Andrew has a wealth of experience advising international
and local clients on commercial transactions and complex commercial
litigation. He has acted for government and its institutions and
agencies, as well as the private sector in Public and Private
Partnerships, earning him an intricate mastery and understanding of
Andrew holds a Bachelor of Laws (LLB) degree from
Makerere University Kampala, Uganda. He also holds a Master of Laws
(with Merit) degree from the University of London, United Kingdom.
In the past, Andrew was seconded to Barclays Bank,
Uganda, as a legal consultant to assist in the legal integration
following Barclays’ acquisition of a financial institution. Andrew was
also a part-time instructor at the Law Development Centre, Uganda’s only
postgraduate school for practical legal education.
Andrew’s experience includes advising China Exim
Bank as a lender of a US$ 482,578,200 facility to the government of
Uganda to fund part of the cost of the construction of the 183MW Isimba
Hydropower Project and the Isimba-Bujagali Interconnection Project, and
advising Orient Bank on the sale of an 80% stake to Bank PHB Plc of
He is admitted to the Ugandan bar and is an active member of the Uganda
Law Society, the East Africa Law Society and the International Bar
- As local counsel advised the International Finance Corporation, acting on behalf of Kampala City Council Authority, on a public private partnership for the procurement of solid waste management services in Kampala
- Advised the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Government of Uganda on a PPP for the procurement of services for development, provision, and maintenance of serviced accommodation and development of institutional infrastructure for the Uganda Police Force.
- Acted for and advised the private sector and continues to represent the country’s two main electricity concessionaires presently holding concessions from government for the generation and distribution of electricity.
- Advised on a syndicated loan facility to Roofing Rolling Mills Limited by local and regional banks and the International Finance Corporation (IFC) for the financing of the largest steel rolling plant in country.
- As local counsel, acted for lenders for a facility to Eaton Towers for the acquisition of telecommunications masts.
- As local counsel, advised China Exim Bank as a lender of a US$482 million facility to the Government of Uganda to fund part of the construction of the 183MW Isimba Hydropower Project and the Isimba-Bujagali Interconnection Project.
- Advised the shareholders of Orient Bank Limited on the sale of an 80% stake to Bank PHB Plc of Nigeria.
- acted as consultant and advisor to the ministry of trade, tourism and industry and the uganda commodity exchange and various stakeholders on the creation, drafting, enactment and enforcement of the warehouse receipts act and the regulations which are of a significant impact on trade finance operations, the control of collateral managers, warehouse receipts and warehouse keepers.