Dr. Alan Shonubi is one of the founding partners of the firm. He
specializes in all corporate and commercial law matters; and has a
wealth of experience advising both local and international business
entities in areas of Public Private Partnerships, banking and project
finance, technology and telecommunications, real estate, oil and gas,
privatization and de-regulation, aviation, mergers and acquisitions, as
well as general business practices, with a particular focus on cross
border transactions. Alan is currently recognized as a Senior Statesmen
matters of General Business Law by Chambers Global; and as one of
Uganda's leading lawyers in matters of energy, technology and
communications, real estate, oil and gas, mining, and natural resources
'Alan Shonubi is the highly regarded founding Partner of the firm.
With extensive legal knowledge and experience. He is a
recognized force in the region and is on the boards of several
major organizations in Uganda.' Chambers Global 2017
In 2008, Alan was elected as Chairperson of the
East African Law Society, overseeing lawyers in 5 countries in the East
Africa Region. In the same year, he was awarded an Honorary Doctorate in
corporate law from Nkumba University.
In 2001, he was appointed as lead counsel for the
Judicial Commission of inquiry into allegations of illegal exploitation
of natural resources in the Democratic Republic of Congo. He has been
invited to speak at international and regional forums such as the IBA
regional conference and Africa Loans Market Association, on the subjects
of mediation and arbitration, CSR and legal risk. Alan serves as the
Chairman for Uganda Breweries and the National Library of Uganda, and as
a Director on the Boards of local and regional companies such as East
African Breweries, Golf Course Holdings and AAR Health Services. He also
serves on the Board of Trustees for the Kampala School for the
Physically Disabled, where the firm provides free legal advice.
He attained his Bachelor of Laws degree from
Makerere University in Kampala, and is licensed to practice law in
Uganda. He is a member of the International Bar Association, the East
Africa Law Society, and the Uganda Law Society.
- Advised the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Government of Uganda on a PPP for the procurement of services for development, provision, and maintenance of serviced accommodation and development of institutional infrastructure for the Uganda Police Force.
- Advised the Government of Uganda on the concession to a leading energy distribution company, to operate and run the country’s power/electricity distribution system.
- Acted as legal advisor in the privatisation of the Nile Hotel/Serena Hotel and the concession and lease thereof by TPS Uganda Limited to be part of the Aga Khan Fund for Economic development.
- Advised on a Government of Uganda concession to an energy company to operate hydroelectric power plants owned by the Government of Uganda.
- Advised on a multimillion dollar acquisition by a leading international telecommunications company.
- As local counsel, advised ABSA Bank Limited acting through its ABSA Capital Division and Barclays Bank Uganda in the provision of syndicated loan facility of US$100 million to a local telecommunications company. The transaction was awarded Project Finance Deal of the Year award in the category Africa TMT by Euromoney.