Innocent specialises in energy, mining and infrastructure law, and
oversees the energy and infrastructure department of the firm. He has a
wealth of experience in the energy sector and prior to joining the firm, worked as the Head of Legal and Manager, Corporate Services of
the Uganda Electricity Transmission Company (UETCL) for seven years; making him one of the few legal experts with practical knowledge of the energy sector in the country.
Innocent’s experience includes advising on several Power Purchase Agreement negotiations between independent power producers and
government of Uganda / UETCL, a large number of electricity generation
projects, as well as transmission line projects and different aspects of
Right of Way. He has also worked on a number of mining transactions
within the country, and is well versed with the regulatory and licensing
architecture of the energy sector in Uganda.
He has been engaged and consulted in the review of the Uganda
Electricity Act of 1999 with a view of improving the Act to encourage
more investment in the electricity sector and creation of an autonomous
rural electrification agency/authority as a break away body from the
main Government Ministry of Energy.
All these attributes continue to earn him recognition by both Chambers Global, and IFLR1000 as one of
the country's leading authorities on matters of energy, technology and
communications, oil and gas, as well as social infrastructure.
Innocent holds a Bachelor of Laws (Hons) degree from
Makerere University, Uganda and a post graduate diploma in
Telecommunications and IT Law from the University of Strathclyde, United
Kingdom. He has received training from the Institute for Public-Private
Partnerships (IP3) and is soon to be a Public Private Partnership
Innocent is licensed to practice law in Uganda. He is a member of the International Bar Association, the East Africa Law Society and the Uganda Law Society. He is also a founding member of the Uganda Rights of Way Association (URWA), an
affiliate of the Internal Rights of Way Association (IRWA).
Innocent is an ardent golfer and the current chairman of the Entebbe Golf Club and secretary to the Uganda Golf Union. He has supported various charitable initiatives relating to the setting up of a cancer ward through his golf club and contributes to the breast cancer awareness campaign in Uganda.
- Local counsel for the financier for the Construction the 183MW Isimba Hydro Power Project & Isimba-Bujagali 132kV.
- Local counsel for the Islamic loan facilities from Standard Bank Plc to a major regional petroleum company.
- Local counsel for the conduct of due diligence on the possible acquisition of 3 power companies in Uganda.
- Advised the developer on the negotiation the power purchase agreement of 21MW mini hydro project in eastern Uganda.
- Advised the developer on negotiation of power purchase agreement for 9MW mini hydro plant in western Uganda
- Retained counsel for an 18MW hydro power plant in western Uganda.
- Advised on the negotiation of the power purchase agreement of a 4.5MW mini hydro power plant in western Uganda.
- Advised on the negotiation of the financing of the 220kV Kawanda-Masaka transmission line.
- Advised on the implementation of the 250MW Bujagali Hydro Power project.